Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Taste of Home

For weeks before we went home to Canada, I made lists. Lists of what to buy, what to do, and what to eat. Seriously. I would be sitting on the bus on the way to work and a random food would pop into my head... something you can't find here, of course. And I would think - ha! Add that to the List of Things to Eat when Home! And the list grew. And grew.

Well, obviously, we were only home for 10 days and not 10 weeks, so not everything got crossed off the list. We did get a chance to hit the AYCE sushi bar, and Wendy's, and Mandarin (of course). I also managed to eat 6 cheeseburgers in the time we were home... no small feat, I assure you. (I am not totally sure I can be proud of that either.)

But there were things we didn't get to eat. Cabbage rolls and pierogies, polish sausage, and Quiznos - to name a few. In the end, we just ran out of time. But the one thing I really, really wanted to make was german chocolate cake with coconut pecan frosting. I have been jonesing for some of that ooey goodness for MONTHS now. And it just didn't happen. I kid you not, I may have shed a tear about that.

So, I decided this week that despite (yet another) upper respiratory infection, and a full load at work, and more that one load of overdue laundry, dangit - I am making that cake!! I googled the recipe, combed the shops for the ingredients, and made it tonight. I should have gone to the gym, but instead I baked. (Again... not something to be proud of, I am sure.)

And here is the aftermath. Now, please note that these photos were not taken with The Husband's schmick camera. They were taken with my old ratty one. So yes, they are out of focus. But you get the point. There was chocolate cake. There was lots of frosting. And there was a taste test - just to be sure the rest were ok to take to the office tomorrow. Ahhhhh. So. Good.





No comments: