Sunday, May 9, 2010

symphonic

Last night we had tickets to the symphony. Now, I know you are probably scrunching your nose and rolling your eyes and thinking "really? the symphony?!"... but seriously, it was one of the best nights of entertainment I have ever had.

When I was growing up, we didn't get to watch regular TV. But we did get to watch whatever videos could be borrowed from the local library. And so my brothers and sisters and I grew up watching lots of animal documentaries, and lots of musicals. So when I heard that the Sydney Symphony was doing the best of Rodgers & Hammerstein's, on stage and screen, I was pretty excited. And rightly so - what a show it was!

Always a joy to attend a show in the world renowned Sydney Opera House, going there at night with it lit up and surrounded by people all dressed up is really an experience. We had fantastic seats and I felt like a kid in a candy store, watching all the different instruments and hearing them play the songs I grew up listening to. Definitely a night to remember.

The whole time, I was thinking about how much my family would have loved it, and how I wished they all could have been there with us. I am feeling a bit sorry for myself this weekend, as I am missing out on the big family party for my Mom today. But I am thinking of you, Mom. Hope you have a fantastic birthday and Happy Mother's Day! Mwah!

No comments: