Saturday, January 15, 2011

hope


I have taken a long break from blogging again, thinking at some point I will wake up and want to blog again. That the words will flow easily and freely, and I will be able to share lighthearted stories of our holidays. I keep telling myself that this blog is about fun adventures in a (sometimes) foreign country and I should keep it perky and funny. But life continues to show me that it isn't always going to be sunshine and butterflies. It's sometimes going to be rough and stormy and rainy and difficult. And finding the joy in those times can be awfully hard.

The Husband and I ran away together for Christmas this year. We spent some time in a quieter place, reflecting on the future and enjoying each others company. We held hands and watched the sun go down on 2010, looking forward to 2011 with anticipation, mixed with a little trepidation. You really never know what life is going to swing your way... and the more we live, the more that becomes clear.

We returned from our trip anxious to catch up on the rest of the world. We had - by choice - isolated ourselves from the world for a time and there was a rush of overwhelming information to read and take in. I found that a woman whose blog I frequent had lost her home over the holidays. Following her story in the days since has humbled me and made me feel incredibly sad and hopeful at the same time. I cannot imagine the feeling of utter loss, and yet, her story only rings of hope and blessings.

The last week or so has brought incredible, unbelievable loss to the people of Australia. Floods the likes of which are rarely seen have engulfed vast portions of the country, and all we could do was watch in disbelief. Personally knowing people who have been affected has brought a new dimension to the tragedy. But, after the waters peaked and the sun appeared... seeing the waves of people giving and sharing and helping in the cleanup has been equally awe-inspiring. It may take years for these folks to recover, but right now, they are pulling on their boots and going to work - helping those who are even less fortunate. The inherent goodness of humankind is sometimes too great for words.

Despite all of the tragedy and suffering going on in the world these days, it's the images of hope that stand out for me. People, joining hands, pushing past the opinions that divide us, and instead holding on to the things that make us all the same. These moments may be fleeting, but they stay with us long after. After the storms subside, even while we continue to slog through the muddy remainders, we can look up at the sky and see the rainbow.

Happy New Year. May it be a year that brings each one of us hope.

No comments: