Saturday, June 13, 2009

Just thinking.

I read this quote on a blog today...

she looks like a picture you cut out and save in a scrapbook of what you want to be like when you grow up


It reminded me of the all the special women I have in my life, and how I think of so many of them every day.

I think of Manya, one of my all time best friends. A friend I am truly blessed to know. She is real and honest and gifted in all the ways I am lacking. She is the kind of friend I can go years without seeing, knowing we will pick up exactly where we left off. I have learned so much from her.

I think of Misty, who is more of a sister than a cousin to me. Who is so very much like me, and yet totally different. Misty, who has unlimited patience and gentleness and kindness. Who is the perfect mother and daughter and sister. The older I get, the more I miss our youth together.

I think of Sarah, who is more than a friend to me, she is the family I chose. My calm in a storm, my laughter, my shoulder to cry on - even from a world away. She is the only person I know who actually writes me letters anymore, and I treasure those letters so, so much. She is also the number one reason I am homesick. I admit it, I am "Sarah-sick."

I think of Grams, one of the women I most admire in this world. I aspire to have her spunk, her knowledge, her zest, her full and open heart. I would be a lucky woman to grow up to be even a little like my Grams. My life is better just for having her in it. I treasure every single memory I have of her, and I delight to find bits of her in me.

I think of Aunt Bern, a woman to whom I credit some of the hardest learned and most treasured lessons in my life. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and smile. I leave my house each morning with her voice in my ear telling me "make me proud!" and I pray that I can.

And I think of my mom, who is the most amazing woman I know. I will never know anyone with more patience, more love, or more forgiveness in their heart. I know I will never come close to comparing to how amazing she is. I truly hope I can grow up to be just like her.

No comments: