Sunday, January 17, 2010

tomato... tomahto


It’s interesting how when you grow up in the US and then relocate to another part of the world, you start to realise how very American certain behaviors, fashions, and expressions really are. While in the States I never gave it much thought but here someone will say, “Oh that's so American!" And I could never quite decide whether that was good or bad. For instance, this week a co-worker, who was talking to me about another co-worker said "do you see how he drives? with his arm hanging out the window? that is sooo American!" I am starting to think that it might not be a compliment.

On a similar note, the funniest thing happened this week at work. I was working at reception one morning (Did I mention that our receptionist quit? Does anyone want the job?!) and I had the following conversation with a woman who called in... in the heaviest southern American accent I have ever heard.

Me: Good morning, XYZ Property, this is Valerie.

She: What? What company is this?

Me: This is XYZ Property, may I help you?

She: Is this XYZ Property?

Me: Yes, it is.

She: Oh. Sorry, I didn't understand your Australian accent.

Wow. I wanted to say "lady, you just made the blog."


The photo above (taken by me, and not The Husband!) was from one of our regular Saturday morning trips to the Eveleigh farmers markets. I could live there, I love it so much. Just thought I'd share it, since I hate blog entries without photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty! Good shot.