Tuesday, June 29, 2010

on the counter

Things you will find on my counter (or benchtop, as they say here) in winter:


A pot roast in the slow cooker. Warm and smelling delicious when you come in from the cold. Root veggies, staple sides to most winter meals. Lemons, to season grilled haloumi salads and Moroccan tagines. Fruit, to keep away the scurvy. (At least that is what The Husband likes to say.)

It was the coldest morning recorded in 15 years today. It was bloody cold. I think they said -4c, but I can't be sure. I couldn't hear over the sound of my shivering. Crazy to think that people 'back home' will be grilling at the lake this weekend, watching fireworks and making s'mores. I feel like curling up under a couple dozen blankets and sleeping til spring!

Happy Canada Day / Fourth of July, everybody!

No comments: