Sunday, June 20, 2010

winter again


I think it rained every single day of May, this year. And probably most of the first 2 weeks of June, as well. And while you don't have to shovel rain, therefore I shouldn't even think of complaining about it... 6 weeks of solid rain can really get to you. However, the winter sun has finally arrived and we have been having crisp mornings followed by glorious blue skies. It's winter again in Sydney.

I think I may have been here too long, because I find myself missing snow. How insane is that? It feels like winter. The leaves have all fallen and the trees are bare. It's cold at night and people are wearing scarves and mitts. There are end of financial year sales on in all the shops, and it almost feels like Christmas. But, what it all really needs is a light dusting of snow to tie it all together.

Thankfully, next week marks the start of the Sydney Winter Festival. For the second year, the magic of a snowy winter is coming to Sydney. With an ice rink and mulled cider and a snow machine... visiting the Winter Fest is like a mini-vacation to the Alps... just a short bus ride from home. I can't wait.

And, if that wasn't enough, my favourite market is also having a winter festival, Winterland, starting in July. Pretty excited about that one too.

But, best of all, in Balmain they are hosting Christmas in July! With caroling! I am so there. The Husband doesn't know it yet... but I am planning to hit all three festivals this year! Hooray! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

No comments: