Saturday, November 13, 2010

summer saturday

After what has seemed like weeks of rain, we had one gorgeous, hot, sunny day last weekend. We spent that day at the Red Bull Flugtag in Sydney's botanic gardens. A whole day, sitting in the sun, enjoying the view and the company of friends. Which led to me getting perhaps the worst sunburn I can ever remember, except for that one I had in Italy years ago... Anyway, this sunburn was so bad, in fact, that I neglected to wear shoes at the office for four days last week - simply due to the fact that I couldn't get them on my poor feet. I may have even claimed at one point that said sunburn was more painful than childbirth. I may have been crying when I said that. You get the idea. It was a bad sunburn. The moral of this story is that THIS weekend, when they predicted hot, sunny weather, and The Husband wanted to get out and enjoy it - I finally did what any responsible person would do: I went out and bought sunblock. Three cheers for me.

All that said, today we got out on the water for the first kayak of the summer. We joined a 7:30am Saturday kayak fitness class and it was fabulous. The water was calm and quiet, the sun was coming up and it was still cool enough to be comfortable. While the fitness part of it was a little annoying (says the professional couch potato), the kayaking was gorgeous and I can't wait to get back out there. I think we are going to make it a Saturday tradition from now on. It was a good workout and so much fun.


Since the kayak place is just around the corner from my office, I took the opportunity to take some photos of a couple of the things I drive past every day on the way to work. I see them each day and have been wanting to stop and take pictures. I think these are the kinds of things I'll miss the most one day when Australia is no longer home.



To me, November is the most beautiful time of the year in Sydney.

No comments: