Wednesday, November 24, 2010

thanks giving


Even though we won't be home for Thanksgiving this year, we are still going to be observing the day. While we will be trudging off to the office on the actual day, we'll be sharing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with some good friends on Saturday. The turkey, whom we have affectionately named Kyle, is already cooling his heels in the fridge. I'm not convinced the 15 pound guy is going to fit in the oven, but we'll see.

I thought it would be appropriate, given the season, to take a moment and give thanks for the good things in our lives. It's a Thanksgiving tradition in my family to go around the table and name something you are thankful for. Given the size of my family, this can sometimes take a while. But it's a good reminder for all of us as to all of the things we really have been blessed with.

This year, if I were sitting around that table, I would first say that I am thankful for my husband. He is the best man I have ever known. Kind, smart, thoughtful, good, loving, patient, calm, and so much fun to be with. I am truly the luckiest woman in the world to have both him and his daughter as my family.

I am also so thankful for the health my entire family has been blessed with. One of my biggest worries when coming here was that something might happen back home and I wouldn't be able to be there. There have been some scares, but for the most part, I am so thankful that everyone is happy and healthy.

I am thankful for friends. The good kind - the ones who show me grace when I screw up and those who offer a shoulder when I need one. The ones who make me laugh and even those who have taught me tough lessons.

Lastly, this year I am thankful for peace. The kind that comes from knowing that I am doing the right thing, even when it's not popular. The kind that comes from knowing I have done my best, and that is good enough. The kind that comes from realising that not everyone is going to approve of my choices, and that's ok! That doesn't make them bad choices. That kind of peace is such a blessing.

To those who we hold dearest - may you have a blessed and peaceful Thanksgiving this year. We have plenty of turkey to spare - feel free to stop by!

2 comments:

Mimi and Joe said...

Notice - this is me commenting :)

Nice post! Really summed up a lot of things that I feel quite often as well...

Tell Kyle.... I'm waiting... Mwah ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Val!!! Sure miss laughing with you. Not too many people share our same "sick" sense of humor :) Enjoy your holiday down under, and remember those blessings there, and at home. Hope to see you soon!!! Marah