Wednesday, November 11, 2009

poppies


In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Today is Remembrance Day. (Veterans Day for my American readers.) A day to remember the men and women who give of themselves in service to our country. I wore a poppy today in honour of those who are no longer here, and for those who are serving now. And especially for my cousin's husband, who is currently in Iraq. (Thank you, Jeremy!)

I spent the morning on Canadian soil, applying for my passport at the local consulate. It seemed a fitting thing to do on this date, as it's the 5 year anniversary of when I landed in Canada. I thought back to that day as I waiting in line this morning. It was a cold, dark day November day in Buffalo, but when I finally got that letter saying I could move to be with The Husband, it was a sunny day for me! And today, as I stood in queue, this time under a sign that said "Canadian citizens only" - it felt like I was home for a few minutes.

No comments: